Thursday, December 30, 2010

A tribute to the coolest great-gma in the universe

Here is my long promised Christmas post. Plus more! This is what I got for Christmas.
Let's see a closeup of that a-MAZE-ing yarn. (I don't really know why I capitalized maze).
For all of you who don't have superman eyesight let me tell you the yarn I got. Mini Mochi, Manos del Uruguay, and other assorted sock and lace-weight yarn. You may think I have enough yarn in my stash, but I can never have enough sock/mitten yarn. But now I think I'm good for at least another year.

Speaking of Christmas knitting, I'm sure you're all dying to know about if I finished in time.

Before I continue, let me say the next part is sad so you might want to grab a box of Kleenex to put near you.

Two days ago, my Great-Grandma Elsie Thompson died (see the tie-in with the 'dying to know?' The answer to that question by the way is no I did not finish my Christmas knitting). She was 100.5 years old. She didn't teach me to knit, but she taught my g-ma who taught me. So in a round-about way, I have her to thank for my most precious hobby. She was not just an avid crocheter, but also a great seamstress, tatter, and amazing human being. She always went out of her way to help her neighbors and wasn't afraid to do things her way (like shoot squirrels in her yard or drive until she was 90). Not only is she the reason I'm alive today (because if she hadn't had kids, her kids wouldn't have had kids, and my dad would not have had me), but she has made a gigantic impact on her large family (I'm talking great-great-grandchildren) and her community of Sault Saint Marie/the world.

So even though I'm not at the funeral (which was today), I just wanted everyone to know that my great-grandma was the coolest person ever and she will be missed.

RIP Great-gma.



















(On the left is my great-grandma on her wedding day. On the right is my dad, great-grandma, my sister, two random children, and me. I'm on the bottom left doing the awkward smile)

No comments:

Post a Comment