Saturday, February 18, 2012

Today's lesson is brought to you by the letter cockiness

During my absence from blogging, I did something unbelievably cool--I cured world unhappiness.

That is a lie. But I did something completely awesome in the knitting world. I fixed a mistake in a lace shawl. I'm not saying that I ripped out the two inches of lace that I had completed and then tried to pick up the stitches without messing anything up. I instead did this.

 I noticed that I had made a pretty big mistake like 10 rows back. I won't repeat what was said (because there are virgin eyes reading this), but know that it was full of frustration and angst.

Now you may not know this, but I am not a fan of frogging knitting (for all you non-knitters who read my knitting blog, frogging means ripping out the knitting you've done. If you want a full explanation, google it. Also, why are you reading a knitting blog if you don't knit?). Frogging lace is especially hard because you have to pick up yarn overs and knit two togethers and it's just a horrid mess. So I went online and searched for a better way to fix my problem. This involved only ripping back the part of my knitting that I had messed up on. Then I had to find stitches and pin them to a board to try and reconstruct the design.

Just a warning, you probably shouldn't try this if you can't read your knitting. If you're not sure what a yarn over looks like or if you don't know what the pattern is supposed to look like, it all might end in frustration and yelling. Bring good karma into the world, not yelling. (that should be a bumper sticker)
So once I had my spots pinned, I ripped back to a row where I knew where I was in the pattern and picked up the stitches and put them on a needle to work with.
After the stitches were on the needle, I simply worked back and forth in the pattern with a second needle. I say simply, but we both know this takes an enormous amount of skill (cocky knitting prowess is so sexy. Don't you agree?)
I just added this picture because my fingers look dainty and delicate here.












And here is the final product! I am so awesome. GUSH GUSH LOOK AT ME EVERYONE I CAN KNIT WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment