Monday, November 1, 2010

Trained and underemployed

I've officially completed my training and now know how to make drinks with the greatest of ease. Granted I'm still terribly slow and mess things up a lot, but at least I know how to make a Carmel Macchiato.

Don't get me wrong, working at Starbucks is probably the best job I've had ever, but it's not satisfying at all. Maybe it's just me, but when I see the quantity of money we take in on a Saturday, it makes me want to punch babies. Luckily there are some babies that come to the store.

The problem I have with saying that I am underemployed is that it's a BS term. What does that even mean? That I'm not using my college degree? All a college degree means is a bunch of debt and a piece of paper; I'm not any smarter than I was before I went to college. Another bad thing about working a terrible job is that I don't have as much time to knit. This is probably the biggest tragedy of the capitalist structure.

However, I have managed to finish a project. It's the pattern Pauline and I made it out of Malabrigo. It was a super easy pattern and just what I need for winter--because I lost my favorite hat. Since I'm living in Colorado instead of Wisconsin, I luckily haven't had any reason to wear a hat yet.

That is one great thing about moving back in with my parents: heat.

I have three other things on needles and hopefully within the next week I will have finished one (mittens... drool). The other two projects are massive: a sweater for an ex-bf and a shawl that I screwed up on hardcore.

In weathergirl news, I've applied for two jobs today. The first is in West Virginia and the second is in New York. I also called the Duluth station to see if she got my application. I should know about that job by the end of the week. I should set up a counter for how many weathergirl jobs I've applied for. I think so far I'm up to 30. Guess how many I've heard back on (all rejections)? 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment