Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Selfish Selfless Year

Did you hear? It's the New Year! I know that you've been wanting to read another post about resolutions and how this year is going to be different... so here you go.

This past year has been wonderful, but difficult. Wonderful for many reasons: I've met great new people, I've learned new things about myself, I've started on a new path that will improve my life, and I've been rocking in my band.

Here's the difficult part.

and it really shouldn't be that difficult because I'm an open person. I pride myself on 'what you see is what you get' and not being afraid. But I have been afraid.

I could drone on about about why I've been afraid and how society needs to change and blah blah blah. But that's not my style.

My style is straightforward with poor grammar and a lack of conjunctions (don't tell me you didn't notice).

I have Depression.

Not like oh no I get sad sometimes. But more like it makes it hard for me to go out, to go to work, to meet friends, to enjoy doing new things.

As a result, my spinning has been sorely lacking.

(this is where the new year comes in)

One of the things they tell you to do with Depression is to do things. It doesn't matter what you do, it just matters that you ignore the voice telling you that everyone hates you and life is terrible and nothing you do will matter.

It also serves this back-story to tell you about my bestest friend in the entire world: Bekky. Bekky has had a shitty past couple years and I want to make sure that 2015 is great for her. She is one of the only people who reads this blog, so I decided to make this year a sort of dedication to her.

That means that every month, I am going to spin some amount of yarn, blog about it, and then send the final yarn to her. I can't guarantee that I will blog every week, but even twice a month is more than what I did last year.

Merry Christmas Bekky! This is your Christmas present! A full year of Jen yarn!

What does spinning yarn for my best friend and Depression have to do with each other? 2015 is going to be about taking care of myself and taking care of others. AKA the Selfish Selfless year.

BALLER.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to spin some mohair onto this lovely bit of roving below.


No comments:

Post a Comment