Saturday, June 21, 2014

Classy bitches spin thin

 I recently splurged and bought myself a pound of Cheviot wool from paradisefibers.com. Naturally I rationalized it as, "I could easily make a profit and this will be the roving that starts my indie spinning/dying business." How am I doing with that?

Oh, you know. Just non-existent. But I did see the inner desire of what this bag wants to be.

I don't know how I came up with this vision, but all of a sudden I wanted to make this huge fluffy bag into lace-weight yarn. Well, that may not be entirely true. Initially I was going to see if this wanted to be a 2-ply or a single. Once I started spinning it, I saw that it had a lovely halo effect and knew this had to be a single lace-weight yarn. (let it be known that I don't know if my spinning buzz words like 'halo' and 'single' are being used correctly. I feel painfully n00bish about all this. Also about my internet slang use of the word n00b. Because I do the internet wrong.)

Apparently the spinning gods do NOT understand that if I want this to be something, it should be easy. I have had a hell of a time making this small quantity. Literally I've down this process (sit down, spin for 5 minutes, have fledgling yarn break, give up, and walk away) happen 8 times.
Today I finally decided to do my usual classy blocking of the yarn (sexy heels that have literally never been worn but have gotten their monies worth by making pretty yarn for me) and decide to see how this fucking obnoxious makes me want to die lovely yarn looks while it's knit.

Because one thing I HAVE been doing lately is reading about spinning. Apparently the good way to do spinning is to spin something, knit a swatch, and..... adjust?

I'm not really sure about the last part. But I did get that I should be swatching.

THICK HEADS BUT THIN YARNS.

No comments:

Post a Comment